2/07/2014

Four month update

Time is flying! Yet again I am late with her monthly photo. Daph is probably closer to five months than four months in this shot, oops. So much has changed in our lives since her three month picture was made… Things are finally feeling settled, but it was genuinely rough for a bit. 

I don't think I slept more than 2 consecutive hours during the months of December and January. Ugh. I feel I have now truly been initiated into the secret society known as parenthood, having survived the sleep deprivation torture test! Not fun, but I'm thankful that there seems now to be a  light at the end of that long, dark tunnel. I am embarrassed to admit I had more than a couple of meltdowns but I feel lucky that I have special people in my life who don't mind seeing me at my worst and are there to help. The worst was when I actually felt angry at Daphne just for being a baby. That is an awful feeling. I pray I won't have to endure that again. 

I could probably write a book about all the different sleep philosophies and the notion that modern society and raising a baby don't really mix. It is a primal, instinctual undertaking that makes total sense if you are a cavewoman — with no duties other than keeping your baby warm and fed and waiting for your mate to drag home dinner — but for a modern couple? Not so simple. Good thing she's sooo cute. 

Note the faint sock line on that pudgy calf!
Daph was up to 26.5" and 13# 10oz. at her last checkup with our new pediatrician. Katie and I had a good laugh about their humble methods of measuring the babies' height which involves a Kleenex box, an old yard stick and instructions to the parent not to move that Kleenex box and to hold their squirming baby still. So who knows if that measurement is correct as I may have let the Kleenex box move a bit.

This kid LOVES STANDING. So much so that it was on our list of questions for the doctor. She has rolled over a few times both ways, but doesn't seem to want to do it very often. Because she saves all her energy for standing. And kicking. We're so scared she's going to break her little heel bones she kicks so hard! Yesterday she was upstairs with her nanny and it sounded like she was stomping on the floor. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen until the teenage years?

She also squeals with delight, has a huge smile, the bluest eyes and a new crop of hair to compliment the bald spot on the back of her head. She still loves baths, with either me or her dad, or alone in the tub to kick and splash! We have tried out a couple of new bath seats lately and finally settled on one we like. If you're in the market for one at the Towson Babies R Us, make sure you check to make sure it's not slightly damp and doesn't smell like baby shampoo…

No comments:

Post a Comment