6/04/2013

welcome, cousin Owen!

We're so so so happy to welcome baby Owen to the world! He was born early this morning, 11 days late, and even though he's not even 24 hours old, it feels like he's always been a member of our family. I was too excited to really sleep last night, knowing he was getting closer. Something woke me at 3:30 am so I was lying there wide awake when I got a text from Katie! I texted back "drumroll..." and then she called and I answered right away! That's a phone call worth remembering, out of the hundreds we have every year. I'll never forget springing (well, lumbering like only a pregnant woman can) out of bed and out to the living room to avoid waking Brett, who quickly followed and was equally excited. Katie sounded so awake, elated and like all was right with the world. It was awesome, another moment I'd like to relive, and this time I'll sort of get the chance in a few months. I am loving the steady stream of photos of the little guy...

finally getting some rest!

As soon as I was able to get back to some semblance of sleep, I had a crazy dream about him. I was at Katie and Kyle's house, sitting in a big group of people, some strangers, some familiar. I asked Katie if I could go in Owen's room to meet him and when I went in, he looked like a tiny newborn but he could talk like a five year old and was occupied with stripping off his five layers of hats and sweaters (?). He looked at me and said, "Where's your dad? I haven't met him yet." Then I woke up. Strange, but oddly comforting. I always relish a dream about my dad, whether it be funny, a good memory, or even a little bittersweet like this one. It is reassuring to know that he is still very present in my sub-conscious and alive in my mind. Can't wait to meet baby O for real!

No comments:

Post a Comment